Regarding the tragic death of George Floyd and the rioting that followed, I posted this on my personal Facebook page on Saturday:
I have many thoughts this morning, but not many words yet. So far, I will commit to this:
Indifference is dangerous. Let’s search our souls.
I still don’t have all my thoughts straight on the tragedies taking place in America. Here’s what I do know. Maybe rather than reading what other people think on social media, we need to figure out what we think.
We can’t control other people’s actions, but we can control ours. Our actions spring from our beliefs. If we don’t change our beliefs, our actions won’t permanently change. We can make a temporary, situational adjustment. This will allow us to feel better in the moment. But we won’t be better.
Permanent changes in beliefs and actions can cause us to be better and not just feel better. When we change, we can make changes.
Let’s ask ourselves:
- What stereotypes do I believe? How do I know it’s a stereotype? What will it take for me to change my beliefs? How will I know when I’ve changed them?
- When I hear someone’s story, what causes me believe it? What causes me to question it? What biases show up here?
- When am I prideful? When am I humble? What beliefs are driving these?
- What do I hope for? What am I doing to turn this hope into action? What beliefs are driving my hope?
- How do I love? Who do I love? Do they know it? What can I do differently? What beliefs are driving my love?
- Do I hate? Is it ever appropriate? Why or why not? What can I do differently? What beliefs are driving my hate?
- What do I need to be braver about? Why? Will I? What beliefs are driving my courage?
- When could I be more compassionate? Why? Will I? What beliefs are driving my compassion?
- What do I get angry about? Why? What do I do with the anger I feel? Why? What beliefs are driving my anger?
- Who am I following? Why? How? How are my beliefs influencing these choices?
- Who am I influencing? Why? How? How are my beliefs influencing these choices?
- Who am I praying for? How am I praying? How do I pray for myself? Why? How are my beliefs influencing these choices?
- What blind spots might I have? Who can help me discover them and then make changes?
- Do I think more about changing others or changing myself? Why? How are my beliefs influencing these choices?
Please add questions that will help you grow.
Let’s change to make changes. Now.