Every Monday, I’ll post about discovering genuine hope and authentic answers for living a healthy life.
Because of some recent bumps and bruises as I do this thing called living, I was prompted to complete a spiritual inventory I always do at the end of the year. I think about these things regularly, but it’s rare that I sit down and deeply ponder each question, even writing out my responses, except at the end of the year.
I’m glad I took this seriously last week. My answers encouraged me and I was appropriately challenged, as well. I’m sharing the questions here because maybe you’ll benefit, too.
I really want my life’s focus to be Jesus, but it’s easy to get sidetracked by life’s busyness. For integrity, I want my life to line up with what I say is important. What about you? Asking and answering these questions helps me get back on track.
These questions come from various inventories and from my awareness of my own tendencies and what to be alert to. Use them if they appear complete for you and your situation. If not, adjust the list so you’re appropriately challenged to grow. And, how about helping children and teens use these, too? Imagine! To God be the glory!
- Do I know God better? Do I love Him more? Do I trust Him more?
- Is the Word of God refreshing to my soul? Do I know more of it? Do I willingly prioritize reading it, studying it, and meditating on it?
- Am I less attracted to the world now than I was before?
- Do I have a greater desire to do the will of God? Do I earnestly desire what God wants for me or do I want my own way?
- Do I present the Gospel when the Spirit prompts me to?
- Am I more disciplined? Do I more quickly recognize sin as sin and turn from it?
- When God chastens me, what’s my attitude? Do I choose to see God’s loving care for me?
- Am I more focused on pleasing God than people? Do I regularly respond to people as Christ would?
- Do I appropriately prioritize fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ?
- Are my times of worship rich, regular, personal, and meaningful? Do I generously and sacrificially give back to God?
- Do I pray confidently and expectantly? Do I wait for and recognize God’s answers? Am I appropriately grateful for all God is and does?
- Do I honor the Sabbath?
These questions were included in an earlier blog.